Sunday, November 15, 2015

Final Workshop & Exhibition

Yesterday was our last workshop. If I had had much time to think about it during the workshop, I would’ve been kind of sad, but as usual, it was a busy, busy morning!

One girl was absent both last time and this time.  I had really hoped everyone’s stars would be on the constellation mural for today, but it was not to be. 

Even though this final and shortened workshop time was mostly used for catch up, we still had plenty to do in the one hour we could work before the exhibition for the families.  I was very pleased that the girls were ready and willing to work quickly on their unfinished projects. (I didn’t hear one complaint about wanting to do something new or not wanting to finish something.) Each girl that was there finished everything we had done thus far. 


The weaving was completed and put up on our constellation mural.
Follow the link below to read the awesome myths the girls wrote to go with their constellation pose.

Two girls completed over-paintings from last week’s shortened lesson.

The other three girls started their over-paintings! Even though they knew they wouldn’t finish it in time for the exhibition, they wanted to begin it so they could take it home and finish it later. Two girls said that the over-painting was one of their favorite projects, despite having only worked on it very little. That made me a little sad that we hadn’t had enough time to fit in properly.

I only got a photo of one of the over paintings, because as soon as parents started to arrive, the work that we had just completed and hung, was “oohed” and “ahhed” over for  few minutes, and then taken down. Which was probably the most difficult part of the day for me—watching the visible evidence of all the hard work and fun we’d had being dismantled and then disappearing.


The parents seemed pleased and impressed as the girls described what they had done and explained each piece. The girls seemed really excited to show off. I even heard a few mentions of artists we had talked about!

Later that day it hit me that I didn’t get a photo of all the girls together and that I’d probably never see them again. Of course I have photos of all of the girls working over the course of the weeks, but I really regret not getting a class photo of all of us. 

I’m so proud of all the girls! I feel very privileged that I got to meet each one of them and take part in their journey of learning about art. I absolutely loved seeing their spontaneity and creativity.
This has been a lot of hard work, but it’s also been an incredible experience and I’m sad to see the end of it.

1 comment:

  1. I've really enjoyed reading your posts, seeing your pictures and getting to brainstorm with you on some of the projects.
    What an awesome amount of work and success.

    (PS. I think I recognize a couple of those bunnies in the overpainting.)

    ReplyDelete